Mountains Hide Away

Tuesday, August 1, 2017

Hi all

My morning started by the sound of a generator running. It was a good thing because I needed to and gave me the perfect chance to run the generator since the first day I set it up back in Tok on May 30th. It took a few time tries but finally got it running. It was very liberating to know everything is working to be able to just find a spot and camp. I let it run for things to charge and to use microwave to boil water for breakfast. Once things were charged, I turned off the generator and then went back to bed and slept for a bit. I then took time to cleanup. I then started preparing food to take out on the bus ride to Eielson Visitor Center.  It was a  bummer I misread the bus scheduled and was there for a bus only going to Toklat. I checked the schedule and there would be a short time before the bus I really wanted, would arrive. I kept hearing about more people waiting for buses than there were buses. The safe bet would ride the same bus I road, back to camp. But I decided to tempt fate. I am so glad I did and bus transfers worked out better than if I had taken the time to plan. At Toklat, I was able to board a bus going out to Eielson. I enjoyed the people I was sitting around. They were friendly and fun to talk to. Almost at the top of stoney overlook, the driver suddenly stopped due to seeing caribou which turned into some on the bus, including me, being able to see a wolverine. It was only for a moment as it ran into some willow bushes and we lost track of it. But it was easy to see what the animal was. To bad it happened so fast, I would have loved to have been able to get a picture or two.  On the way back from Eielson we were able to see a lot of the mountain and we stopped for pictures. It had been several days since I had last seen Denali. We spotted a bear, a sow and a cub down in a river bed. I say down because we were on the portion of the road going up to Polychrome Pass. What was neat was seeing the same sow and cub the day before chasing another bear, today to see and watch the cub chase after a caribou a fair distance. It wasn’t going to give up until mom growled or something and the cub stopped right away. It then walked back to its mother. I was able to get video of it and hope to get it on my site soon. We went down Polychrome Pass and started up towards Sable Pass. It occurred to me, there might be another bus going back out to Toklat and there was so I jumped to a third bus of the day. Back at Polychrome overlook, I was able to spot the same sow and cub. They were busy eating what looked to be berries. I informed the bus driver and we found a good place for all on the bus to be able to see. We then made it out and back with not much else happing. I left camp at 1:00PM and returned just after 10:30PM. It was a great day and I enjoyed every minute of it. I am well and feeling great. I am getting along fine so far with no internet and the generator is working fine to recharge camper battery, laptop and cameras. πŸ‘ πŸ˜€

Wednesday, August 2, 2017

The day started by getting up, dressed and getting the generator going to charge all batteries. The generator is working great. I am for the most part very comfortable. It has been a reminder of what life was like without the internet. Without it, one finds other things to occupy ones time. Today has been a good day that started out just hanging out at camp and reading or whatever. The reading caused me to fall asleep for a bit. I looked at the bus schedule and decided I would try to catch a bus that would be departing in less than one hour. I prepared a sandwich, chips, sliced top an apple and a banana. I packed everything and I was off. Trying to walk to the opposite end of the campground to the bus stop in time. LOL I made it with plenty of time to spare. It has been interesting how carefree I have been moving about, knowing there are bears in the area. A camp ground was closed yesterday due to bear activity with in the camp ground. On a few days I have seen a bear in the river bed not far from camp. I am on guard, but I am not letting it detour me from going about doing what I want. I was happy to see a face I knew. It was a bus driver I have ridden with before. I hadn’t been on a bus this early going to Eielson. It was an okay day as far as spotting wildlife. Uh huh, I was the one that spotted all the bears we would see during the ride. I also was the one to spot Dall Sheep. I had the chance to stay farther out longer but decided to get back to camp early. I am so glad I did. I moved the pictures and video from the cameras to the computer. I ran the generator to charge batteries. It then occurred to me there was going to be a Ranger presentation about Denali. I grabbed some refreshments and my chair and started for the gathering. I was late because where I thought it was going to be, it wasn’t. I decided to walk the camp ground and stumbled on to it. I enjoyed my refreshments and listened. When it was over I came back to camp but didn’t stay long. I grabbed the cameras and I set out to find my way to the Teklanika River. I did and I am so grateful I did. At first I was the only one out there and it reminded me of the first time I was at Savage River. I walked around for a bit took some pictures and video. It is my thoughts to add the unedited video of me talking as I captured video. I eventually made my way back to camp after walking the entire camp ground. I am coming back to this campground soon than later. I am enjoying and doing good being disconnected. I am well and feeling great 29 miles inside Denali National Park.πŸ‘ πŸ˜€

Thursday, August 3, 2017

Today was a day it was hard to decided what to do. I spent most of the day reading. I finally decided to cook some pasta and the energized me to get things cleaned up. I then filled my water bottles and out to catch a bus further into the park. Highlight was watching a sow bear and her cub. I have enjoyed being able to camp in side Denali National Park. I can't belive this is already my furth night. Not looking foward to having to leave. Based on the number of empty sites, I am hoping to be able to come back in. I'll being stopping and finding out.  πŸ‘ πŸ˜€

Friday, August 4, 2017

Drove in from camping out in Denali National Park. I kinda rushed out wanting to get to the Wilderness Access Center to find out if it would be possible to get more nights. I was informed every site was booked  and would be for the next couple of weeks. I went to the RV park and setup the camper. I then packed computer and went to a pizza place, Prospectors Pizza. They have real good WiFi. I also had a pizza. I was editing video at the bar and people walking by would watch and ask questions.It was a lot of fun for all. Later one of the workers thanked me for sharing. It made me smile. I ended up being at prospectors for some hours.LOL It helped ease the disappointment of not being able to go back into Denali to camp with my camper trailer. Highlight was being able to see two moose a bull and a cow. They are so big.  πŸ‘ πŸ˜€

I am back from having 4 nights camping 29 miles inside the park. Needless to say I am in major bums mode. I loved being out there so much. I thought for sure seeing all the empty camp sites around the campground, I would be able to book another 6 days. But NO! Talk about a major disappointment. On the bright side. I am going to be hanging out at McKinley Park for a few more days. I am going to have to think about what I'll do after here. I'll probably go to Homer for more bear viewing. I am well and feeling great. πŸ˜€ . I sincerely hope you and yours are well and life is good. πŸ˜€

Saturday, August 5, 2017

Hi πŸ‘‹ I hope you and yours are well and feeling great. I am well and feeling very well. I have spent most of the day working on my website. Last night I discovered the main page was gone. I'm am close to having it back to normal. I have stopped working on it as I am back at the park waiting for a bus into the park. The weather today has been sunny with a temperature in the 80sπŸ‘ πŸ˜€

Sunday, August 6, 2017

Most of this morning was taken up by moving from one site to another at the RV park I am out. I didn't have a reservation and to be accomadate me for the number of nights I wanted to stay, I would have to jump around today and tomorrow. The move was easy and went fast. I then needed to clean up and food prepared for the afternoon bus ride I planned. It was off to a good start when a moose was spotted. The sighting would be the start of seening some pretty incredible amimal watching. As we were c rossing a bridge a bear was soppted in the river bed and was walking with urgency towards where the bus was stopped so we coudl watch. It was interesting to see it wade and at times swim down river towards us. The bear then moved up the embankment and cross the road behind the bus. The bear stopped when it cam to the name of the river sign and started to scratch all over. It was fin to watch the bear get and chew on the sign.  It eventually moved on and out if sight. We moved on. We would see Dall sheep and then we came across 3 bears right of the road on my side of the bus. The cubs were sitting and laying down watching as a sow was busy digging. The sow  started to run away and it had the ground squrriel in her mouth. The cubs were quick to follow. We we were able to catch up. One cub was eating the arctic ground squrriel. Another cub and sow were a bit further up the road. They all eventually left the road and out of sight. With the time that had been taken at each viewing, the bus was behind schedule. The mountain Denali was visible so with aboard the bus, it was agreed to try and get to the spot that is most notable. Unfornately we just didn't get there fast enough. clouds had moved in and was blocking any good views of Denali.  Becuase of the rushing the bus ended up being ahead of schedule and we were able to get a long break before the bus would begin back to the park road. I spotted a lone bear and then a sow with a cub not far from each other. I was wishing I could just hang out there and see what does or doesn't happen. After that not much more was seen as far as wildlife. Thunderstorms moved in and it really made for some interesting scenery. I was in a conversation about RVing and distracted to look for animals. I enjoyed talking to a couple from Wisconsin. I learned of some RV tips. A porcupine was spotted and I was able to see it but no pictures or video. My angle was obscurred with a willow bush. I made my way back to my camper. I was reflecting on the afternoon and evening and jazzed for being able to see such things. Again, think one should only be able to see so much, wonderous things taking place in the wilds. Eventually, I was able to mellow out enough to be able to go to sleep. I am well and feeling great.πŸ‘ πŸ˜€

Monday, August 7, 2017

Moved from one site at the RV park to another site. I was delayed moving by over one hour. By the time I had the camper setup it was already one o'clock in the afternoon. Any thoughts of riding into the park had to go by the way side as I would have really had to hustle getting everything together and all. Once I had my mind made up it was time to eat. I had thought about going across the street for a seafood cobb salad. I then remembered I had halibut and everything to go with it so I had halibut, vegies and rice. I made up a more than fair portion and I am hoping it gets me through the rest of the day. Eating gave me energy so I washed out some rags and gave the inside of the camper and good wiping down. I am glad I did because the water that wasn't very dirty now was from rinsing the rag a few times. I then turned my attention to my badly neglected journal. I am making slow progres. I have moved out iof my camper and am now sitting at The Blackbear Coffee shop drinking a beer and getting a video from yesterday completed and published. πŸ‘ πŸ˜€

Tuesday, August 8, 2017

Hi all I hope you and yours are well and feeling great. I am well and feeling great. I didn't go into the park yesterday because I wanted to try to get caught up on my travel journal. I was able to get some done but not as much as I hoped. I worked on uploading video this morning. I uploaded a video of bear swimming and then using a sign for a scratching post. I'm now waiting for a bus into the park. I will only have tomorrow because I'm going back to Homer the day after for bear viewing at Katmai.πŸ˜€That is the latest update for now.πŸ‘ πŸ˜€

Wednesday, August 9, 2017

Hi all today was a day of being undecided. Do I take the bus into the park and use the purchased ticket. Or, do I just hang out at the camper and try to get caught up with my journal. I wasn't feeling like writting so I went over to catch the bus into the park. Once out in the park, i just wasn't feeling like an eaight hour bus ride. Just two hours into the ride I asked to jump to a bus going back to the park entrance. It turned out to be a worthwhile choice. On the way back, I was able to see a sow with two cubs, probably two year olds, walking up the road towards us. It was great to be able to watch and to try to capture on video. I was then later able to find out the names of two mountains that can be seen to the east of Denali NP. One is Mtn Hess and the other Mtn Debra. When I returned to camp, I did what I could to get a head start for in the morning and breaking camp. I trieds to decide where to go for dinner and ended up eating the sandwinch I made for my lunch out at Eielson. I felt good trying to save money. πŸ‘ πŸ˜€

Thursday, August 10, 2017

Hi all, today I drove from Denali National Park to Homer, AK some 9 hours of driving. It was a good drive considering people behind me were being loud until 12:24AM Needless to say I am goping with very little sleep. I started early to avoid as much traffic as possible. I picked up traffic near Telkentna. I was happy to get through Anchorage as fast as I was able to. There were times the going was slow. Other times like I was the only one on the road. I had rain off and on most all day. I was glad I had the pack with my rain gear in the truck cab. Turned out when I arrived in Homer and the campground, It was nice. I was able to setup up camp faster then I had in the past. I guess after 77 days I am getting the hang of the RVing thing. Even getting backed into my spot was actually pretty swift. Once camp was set and things moved from truck back to camper, I cleaned up. Felt good to have a shower. As I type this entry, I am glancing out my camper window, seeing the water. It kewl and a change from being at Denali. I have reservations tonight at Captain Patties. Mmmmm this is going to be good. I am hoping they have Wifi so I can upload this entry. I am so far behind I am not sure I have a chance to get caught up. We shall see. πŸ‘ πŸ˜€

Friday, August 11, 2017

Hi All, I am writing from Homer Alaska. I made the drive from Denali National Park yesterday. The drive was good with no incidents. I even backed the camper into a spot fairly easy. Today, is a day for memory and reflection. I have kept my promise to live life to the fullest. But, there isn't a day that goes by that I miss you mom. And today you are on my mind more than ever. I believe there is a heaven and you are there and I just want to say Happy Birthday.

πŸ‘ πŸ˜€

Saturday, August 12, 2017

Hi all I hope you and yours are well and life is going. I'm at the airport waiting for my flight out to Katmai for a day or bear viewing. I hope it will be a great day. If the bears are going to be viewable .It was a good day of bear viewing. It was rainy and windy the entire time. I enjoyed being out with bears. πŸ»πŸ˜€πŸ˜€πŸ˜€πŸ‘ πŸ˜€

Sunday, August 13, 2017

What a totaly awesome day. It started at 12:31AM with a heavy rain. Not long after the rain stopped the winds started. It was blown hard. And the nosie and shaking of my camper was something to listen to. It was a lot like when I was camping at Telinaka campground. This wind was worse because it took a toll on my diy slide-out cover. I had to take it down. The winds ere what seemed to be to much for flying, but I was wrong and I am so glad. Today It was such an awesome day for bear viewing at my most favorite place of Katmai National Park and Preserve. There is much to be said about Brooks River of Katmai, but the back country of Katmai, and off then beaten track has a charm of its own. When you are close proximity with such large animals who's behavior is different than humans. To sit, be around them, and they accept it and is not a distraction, it is such a harmony with/of life. This place is the place of perfect harmony with brown bears.  To be continued with pictures if not tomorrow night, the next morning. There is much to share. πŸ˜€

Monday, August 14, 2017

Another fabulous day over in Katmai National Park. l watched a bear try to get up twice not being able to because he ate so much. Again. YES!! was able to get river level with brown bears!!!!l I do enjoy being ground level with the katmai bears. I had been ground level before but they were jourvinals or sows with cubs. Today I had some very big adult male bears walk near me. One I didn't think was going to stop and come right up to us, but turned and chased a fish. It was so cool to be able to experience. The day was coming to and end and it was time to walk back to the plane. On the way on our right side about 50 yards away was a sow and a cub eating eaither blue berries or a red berry. Not once did they look over at us. When we boarded the plane to fly home, I thought the day was over. The pilot flew towards an area I wanted to see. I was able to get a good idea where it is. When then flew over and around St Augustine. See the steam raisin? Once back in Homer I got busy doing the things I should have done during the course of the day. I topped off my propane tank, did laundry, cleaned up as well and then went for dinner. I came back to the camper and tried to get a connection but no. I decided with tomorrow being a long day, I would just go to bed. I am sad to say this is more than likely my last day at Katmai this year. In all I had 12 days over at Katmai NPP. From the coast of Swikshak Bay in June to Brooks River in July to Northern Katmai in August. πŸ‘ πŸ˜€

Tuesday, August 15, 2017

I started today early. I needed to get things put away and ready for travel. I would be driving to Denali today. I made pretty good time and traffic was nothing today. Thought at one point I pulled over to let cars right behind me pass. I made it back to Denali safe and sound. I checked into the RV park and setup camp. During the entire drive I thought I would go to a place here at Mckinley Park that has a great salad. I ended up cooking pasta. I think I made the right choice as it was good. I cleaned up from dinner and now I am trying to get caught up on my Journal. Only wildlife I would see was a bald eagle and a moose. No pictures as I saw them as I was passing them. πŸ‘ πŸ˜€

Wednesday, August 16, 2017

Hi, I hope all reading, you and yours are well and life is good. Today has been a day for thought. I am thinking about how to spend my final couple of weeks in Alaska. Thoughts of home isn't helping. I am having trouble wrapping my mind around it has already been 80 days, being, in Alaska. I started late today, it was nice to have the quiet. It was cool and cloudy. A day to remind you fall and winter re not far away for this area. I filled up the truck, It  was the lowest I have allowed it to be in a long time. I then went to the Wilderness Access Center to fill water bottles and buy a ticket for tomorrow afternoons bus into Denali. After that I did a slow drive out to Savage River and back. Didn't see in animals. I did spot a grey jay bird. It was difficult looking for wildlife because the trees and bushes are starting to turn as is the ground vegetation. I then came back to the camper and made pancakes for breakfast/brunch. I did some cleaning. Sat down to update my journal and also gather a collection of pictures from this incredible experience. It will be 90 days when I finally leave Alaska. I hope the slideshow below is enjoyed half as much as I enjoyed making. I am well and feeling great. πŸ‘ πŸ˜€

Thursday, August 17, 2017

Hi all, I hope you and yours are well and feeling good. I am well and feeling great. I am writing from the Wilderness Access Center waiting for a bus into the park. This morning I woke up to seeing fresh snow on the high mountain peaks. Another sign fall and winter is not far off. I hope to be able to get some great pictures today.πŸ˜€πŸ”πŸ»I had a good day in Denali NP saw a lot. πŸ‘ πŸ˜€

Friday, August 18, 2017

Hi all, I hope you and yours are well and feeling great! I am well and feeling great. It was cold again last night but I was able to stay warm using a second comforter. I slept well. This morning was busy getting water and buying a ticket for a bus ride today. Through it all I have been entertaining thoughts on starting for home next week. We shall see! Tomorrow I am going to relax and hang out at and around Camp.πŸ˜€πŸ”πŸ»πŸ‘ Another good day in Denali. I jumped buses to try and get back sooner. It turned out to work out. A park ranger I had been lucky to talk to in June was sitting across from me. We were able talk again and was very enjoyable. I also met and talked to another who worked at one of the lodges. I enjoyed the conversations. There wasn't much wildlife sightings of the previous day, but, a good day all the same. I noticed a good sized spruce tree where I hadn't noticed one before. I also saw on a side of a hill, rock exposed, I hadn't noticed before. Denali is really something. My time here this summer has been one for the ages. Arriving in June to seeing the mountains with snow. In July, to be able to see how green everything was and so many shades of green. To the beginning of August being dry and windy to currently feeling winter right around the corner with seeing snow on some of the higher peaks. I have enjoyed seeing winters approach but I am hating it so much because I am truly not ready or wanting to leave Alaska. I know there is next summer but right now that seems so long to have to wait for. LOL  πŸ‘ πŸ˜€

Saturday, August 19, 2017

Hi all, I hope you and yours are well and feeling great! I am well and feeling great. It was cold again last night but I was able to stay warm using the second comforter. Again, I slept well. This morning was kinda busy. I topped off my propane tank. No big deal cepot driving th 10 miles in the rain and cold there and back. No big deal cept for being timing consuming. After I finished tht task I set out to have breakfest, flatbred steak and egg. This afternoon has been chilly and periods of rain. I have enjoyed take time and being in my camper today. Twice I thought about rushing to catch a bus but opted to just sit in the camper. During one period of heavy rain, I tried to determine where a leak is coming from. I, so far, am unable to determine where the drip is coming from. I also plotted the amount of time from here to Fort Nelson, B.C., Canada. I have and still am working on updating my website and travel log. I have decided to ease up on myself for not doing better. In, working and shifting things, I have seen, I haven't really done a bad job considering I have been doing it for 86 days.LOL I'm going to take a minute and update the changes I have made. more to come. Update done. It didn't take long at all. It is nice having updates to my site not be a chore to get done. I am back in from being outside and looking around. I tookk a couple of pictures. Thing that I am most enjoying right now is seeing, feeling a taste for how cold it can get in winter. I have enjoyed my day today being in Alaska and the interior. πŸ˜€πŸ”πŸ»πŸ‘ πŸ˜€

Sunday, August 20, 2017

Hi all, I hope you and yours are well and feeling great! I am well and feeling great. It was cold again last night but I was able to stay warm using the second comforter. Again, I didn't sleep so well last night. I woke up being hot. Took me awhile to gt back to sleep. This morning was kinda busy. I cleaned up and did some chores filling water bottles and buying bus tickets. I walked to the RV office and checked into seeing if I would be able to get two more nights. I was so my departure from Denali is being postponed two days. I walked to subways and bought a steak and egg on flat bread. It was good. I ran to a store I know has fruit and was able to buy some as well as mini crackers I use when I do dehydrated food. I prepared the food I would take for the bus ride today. I relaxed until it was time to go. I made my way over to the Wilderness Access Center and waited for the bus. It was nice to see a bus driver I had not riden with before. The dayin the park was good. I was surprised how warm it was at the first rest stop. This is not far from where I was camped at the first of August. The clouds lifted and I was able to see how much snow had fallen on the higher elevations. the bus driver estimated the elevation at around 5,000 feet. It has been neat to see. I saw in June winters retreat and now near the end of August, winter's advance. Wow!  I was able to spot a bear and I was so ssurprised to see it, all I could say is bear. I don't know why I was so surprised because I do know almost any animal can be seen at any time and anywhere. The bus driver was excellent backing up the bus so all could see.LOL It was an enjoyable time on the bus, we left with only 9 of us. Nice to be able to have freedom to move around. Besides the bear we would see more bears, dall sheep, caribou and moose. I was happy the the first moose we saw were males with impressive antlers. Signs have been put up warning of the moose rut in the area. I hope in the next couple or so days I am able to see some moose sizing each other up. The fall color change has begun and so far I am not disappointed. All in all it has been a good day. I am starting to come to terms as much as I don't want to, that summer is about over and it is time to go home. On August 24th, I will start for home. It will be interesting if I take my time or will I do like I did coming to Alaska and press it, to get home.  πŸ˜€πŸ”πŸ»πŸ‘ πŸ˜€

Monday, August 21, 2017

Hi all I hope you and yours are well and feeling great. Today has been a warmer day. I was able to open the windows and get some fresh air into the camper. I spent some time talking to a RV park worker and enjoyed it. I'm now waiting for a bus into Denali. I still get excited about more time in my favorite NP. I have to say again this is so kewl!!!!! It was a good day, the highlight being a wolf sighting. It paralled the bus for a fair distance. Bears were seen but were a fair distance off. We also saw moose and dall sheep. It is so surprising no caribou were seen. πŸ˜€πŸ”πŸ»πŸ‘ πŸ˜€

Tuesday, August 22, 2017

Woke up with a sore thoart and not feeling very good. I spent the day try to feel better. I took a drive in Denali National park to mile marker 14. I took my time and I enjoyed my time here and in Alaska. I didn't think it would be possible but I am ready to leave Alaska. But now getting sick, it is time. I will leave first thing in the morning to start for home.πŸ˜€

Wednesday, August 23, 2017

Not much to report. I woke up feeling worse than I did the day before. I spent the day doing everthing I could to feel better. I am leaving Denali tomorrow. I am not sure If I will stop in Tok, Alaska, or drive until I am to tired to drive anymore. Not exactly the way I wanted to end my stay at Denali National Park, having a cold. πŸ˜€

Thursday, August 24, 2017

I woke up this morning not reallly feeling any better. I broke camp and started towards home. I saw a total of 6 moose south of Fairbanks along the road. I ended up stopping in Tok. I didn't want to end up trying to set camp up in the dark not feeling the best. I will be here for two nights. I hope to get my bedding washed. and some other clothes. tomorrow. I tooke time to fill up my propane tank. I was surprised with as much as I was running the heater in the camper that I only used 2 gallons of propane. After I filled the propane tank, I went to the store. I was able to buy some ground beef and get some pasta sauce. Needless to say, I fixed pasta for dinner. I watched some NCIS and relaxed the rest of the night before going to sleep. πŸ˜€πŸ”πŸ»πŸ‘ πŸ˜€

Friday, August 25, 2017

Hi all, I hope you and yours are well and life is good. I am writing from Tok, Alaska. On Tuesday I woke up not feeling good. It turns out I have caught a pretty good cold. I was getting tired of the cold at Denali and yesterday I left to drive towards home. I only was able to get as far as Tok. I am feeling a bit better today and am on the down side of it. This morning I spent time doing wash and giving the camper a good cleaning. I'm now at Fast Eddies having something to eat. I am troubled where to go from here. Do I just head for home or do I go to Valdez or perhaps Haines Alaska? I am leaning towards going towards home. I, without a doubt, have seen so much and done so much during my 89 days in Alaska. I am not looking forward to the long long drive just to get back to lower 48 states. So, at this time, tomorrow I will start the drive down.πŸ˜€πŸ”πŸ»πŸ‘ πŸ˜€

Saturday, August 26, 2017

Hi all, I made it safely from Tok, Alaska to Whitehorse, Yukon Canada. Still have the cold. I had a good drive with rain for the first couple of hours. The roads from the Alaska/Canada boarder were better today then late last May. I was thankful for that. I was impressed with the colors I saw today on the mountains. I am sorry for not having any pictures. The cold, has me not thinking straight. I setup camp for the night and then ran into Whitehorse for pop and water. I am now writing this from Boston Pizza. I'll leave in the morning and I have a 9 hour drive ahead of me tomorrow. I am going to Muncho Lake and the Northern Rockies Lodge and RV park for two nights. The area is beautiful and I have always been in awe of the area and now I am going to take a day to explore it. Pictures to come when I have internet again. I am thinking with the remoteness of the area, I will not have internet for a couple of days. It is with all my hopes you and yours are safe and all will be fine. It'll probably be Tuesday Night before I update again. But will if I get internet sooner. And as always, I hope you and yours are well and life is good. πŸ˜€πŸ”πŸ»πŸ‘ πŸ˜€

Sunday, August 27, 2017

Hi, I drove from Whitehorse, Yukon to Muncho Lake today. It was a nice drive and time passed quickly. One downer is I had my first rock to the windsheildtoday. I am surprised I didn't have more. I was the lead departing a stop in the construction zone when I passed and as they passed were throwing up rocks that were hitting my windshield. No further damage thank goodness. I made it to the camp ground and camp site. Setup camp and then cooked dinner. I fixed pasta. It was good. After I finished with clean up, I went for a drive looking for wildlife. None was seen. Speaking of which today the only sightings were bison and more than I have seen at one time. It was kewl to see. I didn't stop as there were RVs stopped going my direction. I was happy to take advantage and get ahead of them.  It is neat to be campped at a place in years past, I would rush by. I am kinda sad though because, Tuesday, I'll be back in the masses of humanity. During my drive I had CBC Radio on and was listening to a story about more and more people are being unfriendly towrds each other and even to the point people are being cruel to family members. They also said the trend is only going to get worse before it gets better. πŸ˜€πŸ”πŸ»πŸ‘ πŸ˜€

Monday, August 28, 2017

I'll come back to this.πŸ˜€πŸ”πŸ»πŸ‘ πŸ˜€

Tuesday, August 29, 2017

Hello all, I hope you and your are well and life is good. Well, it has been an awesome 3 days. As I mentioned. I did drive from Whitehorse, Yukon as far as Muncho Lake and the Northern Rockies Lodge. I was camped very very close to the lake and it was awesome. I am thankful for good weather as far as no rain. The day time temperatures were not bad at all. Sunday into Monday was suppose to be the coldest but when I brook camp this morning and looked at the temperature gage in the truck and it was only 34 degrees. No wonder I was cold.LOL I want to step back a day(Monday). I finally crawled out of bed around 9am and then went for a drive back in the direction, I had come the day before. There was a large heard of Bison on both sides of the road. The day before I was just to tired and wanted to get to the RV Park to stop and take pictures. I am glad I did. I saw mountain sheep, black bears and I am positive a grizzly. The fur was not black or cinnamon or even brown like a black bear would have. Instead this bear had hair that was different all together. I only had a glimpse before it looked my direction and then rushed into the woods before I could notice a hump. From what I could see, the fur was grizzled like. On the way back I saw a very young black bear and it crossed the road right in front of me. At first I thought it was going to the dead porcupine but walk right past it into the woods and I could see the trees being toppled over. I made it back to camp and cleaned my windshield. I then went to the lodge to have dinner and since I ran out of beer, a beer too. LOL I had the special which was lasagna. Mind you, the folks that run the lodge are Swedes, so it was different than I expected. It was good. After I ate the folks camped next to me and I talked for a bit while I had desert, yep, another beer.LOL I then went to camp and watched some NCIS before going to bed. I woke up this morning not knowing what way I would go when I reached Fort Saint John, B.C Canada. What a chore it was driving from Fort Nelson to Fort Saint John. I was driving in such a strong head wind it made the truck not only want to run at a higher RPM but higher temp. UGH!!!!!LOL the going was very slow and I actually felt like that old man towing a trailer, better off to park.LOL If things were not bad enough, came across road construction that slowed me down even more. Anyway, when I reached the junction that would take me out of my comfort zone, driving a road not driven with a trailer. The head winds made the decision easy and I turned right onto 29 that would take me to 97 towards Prince George, B.C. I never expected to make it to Prince George. I saw one RV park that looked nice to late. I then started to run low on gas and the towns where ghost towns. I crept into Bear Lake and was able to fill up just as they closed. By this time I was only 45 minutes from Prince George so I went for it. I stopped at the second RV park I saw. KewlsvilleπŸ˜€ I checked in and they only had a back in spot and I took it not knowing for sure if I would be able to back in with tight room to work. I did lickity split. I was so proud of myself and I have come a long way, grasshopper.LOL So, I am setup for the night. I rushed because I wanted to get to a store to buy beer. Mission accomplished. :D πŸ˜€ The cold I have had for a week now is getting better and today is the best I have felt since a week ago yesterday. So, I am well and feeling good. Animals seen today, Sheep, porcupine, caribou and deer.πŸ˜€πŸ”πŸ»πŸ‘ πŸ˜€

Wednesday, August 30, 2017

I'll come back to this.πŸ˜€πŸ”πŸ»πŸ‘ πŸ˜€

Thursday, August 31, 2017

Hello all, I hope you and yours are well and safe and life is good. I am writing safe in a RV park at St. Regis, MT USA. My first RV park in the lower 48 states.LOL It took me two days to drive down from Prince George, BC Canada. Like the day before, the truck ran hot and in the afternoon really hot. I finally stopped at the Sunshine Valley RV Park, just east of Hope, BC. I was mentally and emotionally exhausted. I thought something was wrong with the truck. It might not have been so bad if I would have listened to my gut instead of asking directions that caused me a day of travel. But, now as I sit here writing this, things happen for a reason. This was to happen so I could see some some pretty terrific mountains, lower BC has to offer. I can now say I have been to Hells Gate. The other reason is so this (sorry) idiot could learn how to drive towing a camper in the mountains. This morning I finally figured out why semis go slow up hills as well as RVs. So they don’t over heat. Once I had this figured out, the drive was nice and so much less stressful and the truck ran so much close to where I am use to it. I dropped down into the USA(yeppie) at Nighthawk, WA. I am glad I made a wrong turn. I had no waiting. I did however get searched. I passed customs, doing exactly what one shouldn’t do and talk to much. But what a story I was anxious to share.LOL I made it over to Oroville WA and US Highway 97. I should have stayed on 97 but wanted to get to Spokane ASAP, I was wanting to make it to West Yellowstone today. Right out of Omak, I had a long step hill to climb, great, but I made it without the truck overheating. I passed right below a dam which was very kewl. I made it to US 2 and eventually I90 east, and drove through Spokane, WA following a semi. Another light went off, now I know why RVs follow Rigs, I ran at a lower RPM drafting from the truck ahead of me. I had two large passes to cross and made it by staying behind a slow truck. I was in the mountain time zone now and was one hour later. I gave up any thought of going for West Yellowstone today. It was time to find a RV park for the night. I saw a sign for what I thought was free RV parking, so I exited the highway in MT, free because no hookups right on the interstate. I passed and continued east on I90 for 17 miles. I saw a good sam RV and the directions made it appear, was away from the interstate. It is and has WiFi so I stopped. I am going to be here for one night because tomorrow I am driving to West Yellowstone, MT. The west entrance to Yellowstone National Park because I was able to get Reservations tonight. I am surprised because of the up coming holiday weekend. So, tomorrow I’ll make the drive to Yellowstone. My cold is almost gone. I am well and feeling great. Great, because there wasn’t anything wrong with the truck, just me trying to drive faster than mountain driving towing a trailer, allows.  πŸ”πŸ‘ πŸ˜€

Journal Entries for August