Mountains Hide Away

Alaska - To King Salmon

Thursday, July 4, 2019 9:20 PM

Hi all, I hope you and those close to you are well and life is good. I hope a Funtastic 4th of July was had. I am doing well and had a good 4th being out among people was different. The day was interesting to say the least. Unlike previous years and flying over to King Salmon on Penn Air, I flew on Alaska Airlines. That meant I had to go through security. I was flagged for special screening. I was asked if I wanted to have it done private or done right there in public. Shoot, I have nothing to hide so I had the pat down right in public.LOL I am surprised my walking stick was able to be carried on board the plane and didn’t require being checked. The walking stick has a very sharp point. It was different to sit in an airport and watch all the people come and go. I am glad, so glad, I don’t have to do that very often.LOL I am so glad to have bad lucky because without it, I wouldn’t have any luck at all. On an jet liner that was only half full I had people sitting next to me, me having the window seat. Even in the vast expanses of Alaska I still manage to get crowded. Oh well, it was only a 45 minute flight and not a longer flight. Made it to King Salmon in good time and I swear as we were on final approach, I could see Ninnak Lake, something like that. That excited me. By the way, have I mentioned, that it is hot here. It is hot, damn hot. I am making it through it though. I am so glad to be away from Anchorage and the smelly RV park. The entire trip I was conscious that I smelled. I was surprised the lodge I am staying at didn’t provide transportation from the airport. I had to use a taxi to get to the lodge. As soon as I was settled in the lodge, knowing it was steak night as well as 4th of July, I ate early to leave room for others. I then went back to my room and took a long shower. I am now sitting in the bar writing today’s entry. Since I had to provide my own transportation to the lodge I called Katmai Air to find out if they will pick me or if I had to get there on my own. As it turned out, it is a good thing I did call as I was scheduled to fly over to Brooks at 8am in the morning. I will be picked up and taking over to where the float planes depart and I need to be ready to be picked up at 6:15AM for a 7:00AM departure. I get one extra hour tomorrow over at Brooks. Woo hooo!!!!. I have all the cameras, all being 3, plugged in getting batteries charged. I pray my old Sony Handy Cam, makes it through the next 3 days. It is a big deal because there is not a cam made these days, that has all the features of this cam with GPS and to me super good zoom ability. No matter what, I will do the very best I can with what I have to work with. I have to laugh, I have my day pack packed with my hat, gloves and face warmer. I also have my heavy duty rain coat packed. I feel silly but rather have and not need than need and not have. Well, that is it for now. Please take care.